Wednesday, November 3, 2010

A Little Blurb About the 2010 Midterm Elections

So, I said I wouldn't get overtly political on this blog.  Well, too bad suckers, because here it comes!


Yes, I am liberal.  Yes, I believe in progressive policies.  And yes, I do believe in fiscal conservatism.  And yeah, I have (Jim) Gray Pride at the moment.


As far as Rand Paul... well he wants to cut monetary support for educational institutions.  Investing in education is the best thing you can do for yourself, bar none.  And in the short term, giving money away to students looks stupid.  Well, get your head out of your ass.  If we can invest heavily in the future (by ways of education), it'll pay itself back in spades.  If you give the next generation a future, well, guess what!  We'll be able to pay for you when you're old and can't pay for everything.  Not everyone is super rich, asshole.


You want perspective?  I've borrowed nearly $25,000 in just federal unsubsidized loans.  I've got to pay that back with interest.  The United States government will make money by giving me money to pay for a good education.


I just don't understand how people can't see these... dare I say, self-evident truths?


And for just a little perspective... students in the UK are protesting a tuition rate hike that would raise the cap to near £9,000.  Which universities are seeing this cap?  The top universities in the UK which at the moment can only charge £3,290 for a three-year program.  Know how much that is? The current three year fee changed into dollars based on the current exchange rate is roughly $5,300.  And raising it to the proposed fee ceiling? $14,500.


Man, they have it nice.  I wish students here at UK would protest the 9% tuition increase that happens yearly because the State Legislature doesn't deem education an investment worthy of budget cut immunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment